Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Super Awesome Big Sister


Everything really important I learned from my sister

I’ve been following my sister around since before I can remember.  I always wanted to do the things she did, though sometimes she just wanted to ship me to Budapest.  Everything from managing our parents to getting through high school, in my eyes she boldly lead the way, and I got to follow the path she blazed.  She showed me that college isn’t always a straightforward process, and that the world is full of other opportunities to learn how to be who you want to be.  She encouraged me to take time off from school, to figure out what I wanted, and she's been a force of help and encouragement in all the steps since. She’s a much more logical person than I am, and I don’t know where I would be without her calming influence and ability to make the complex clear.  She showed me that being strong sometimes means asking for help.  For years she’s been trying to teach me to think for myself, and I’m finally getting a hang of it. She’s one of the smartest, bravest people I know, and I am who and where I am today because of her.  She taught me to chase my passions, that life is a grand adventure, and she taught me that now is always the right time to sing. 

My sister also taught me my favorite joke:

“Why did the plane crash?” “Because the pilot was a loaf of bread”

Today my big sister turned a million years old.  Actually she just turned twenty six (though I know she's really still eight) but she's the kind of grown-up I think I can stomach turning into.  I'm grateful for her every day.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINA!

We have the best adventures!



1 comment:

  1. OK, I cried. Wish I had a little brother to look up to me like this . . . lucky to have you both in my life!
    Tía

    ReplyDelete