Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Theme

I am quickly figuring out that the theme of going to Alaska is: Go To Alaska And Never Leave. I think I have talked to someone new every day who says something along the lines of: "I just came for a summer and never left!" Conversely, last night Tom told me a common saying that living in Fairbanks makes one unsuitable to live anywhere else.
Probably true, as I am also figuring out that anything goes in Alaska. For example, last night we went to a large family potluck/ music shindig. I was expecting a normal house with some food on a table and a small band... a calm night away from the farm. What happened instead was SO much better.
-Huge table packed with every kind of food.
-A keg
-Friendly folks
-Beyond-lively old-timey bluegrass band who played incredibly danceable music for hours, most memorably the song: "Because I Got High" to a crowd of all ages.
The highlight of the night that was more ridiculous than the band was The Coat. Chris had been oggling at the huge fur coat of the man standing by the fire for about an hour. 
We decided that the next best idea would be to sneak up and pet The Coat and see how long it would take the guy to notice. 
Surprisingly, it took more than 5 seconds until our creepiness was spotted. Turns out that Coat Man aka Scott aka owner of an outstanding beard found The Coat in a dumpster a couple of years ago. And the kicker? He didn't even want it anymore! Apparently petting strangers fur coats pays off, because Chris walked away from the party with his dream coat on his back.
Point is, I'm loving Alaska more and more. Speaking for myself and not D-rod, I don't see myself never leaving, but I am very glad I'm here for a good chunk of time!

1 comment: